2481 McCurdy Way Decatur GA 30033 listed for sale by owner/agent Sally English, Associate Broker, Realty Associates of Atlanta LLC. Call or text Sally English 404-229-2995 for easy showings.
Complete renovation of 50s brick ranch. 2019 DeKalb County permitted renovations include: new kitchen, 2 new baths, luxurious master suite, great room (walls removed to create open floor plan for living area, kitchen, dining and breakfast area). Renovations include: new thermal pane windows, new exterior and interior doors, refinished hardwood floors, new electrical panel and service, new plumbing and new HVAC service. New kitchen with premium stainless finish gas range, microwave oven and dishwasher.New kitchen cabinets, granite tops. Short walk from Medlock’s own 28-acre nature preserve/Audubon sanctuary and Medlock Park swimming pool and playground. Easy walk to Emory, CDC. Emory DeKalb hospital and the VA.DeKalb Tennis Center and Library nearby. Everything you are looking for in Decatur’s hottest neighborhood.
SCHOOLS: 2481 McCurdy Way Decatur GA 30033
Students at 2481 McCurdy Way Decatur GA 30033 attend High Scoring Fernbank Elementary School, Druid Hills Middle School and Druid Hills High School in the DeKalb County Public Schools System. Nearby private schools include Paidea, IHM – all located within a reasonable commute.
FERNBANK ELEMENTARY (excerpt from Great Schools Website) Parent- Overall experience-I am obviously biased, as all three of my children attend Fernbank, but we have found it to be wonderful and inclusive. From the state championship chess team to the engaged teachers and forward-thinking leadership, we count ourselves lucky to have Fernbank as our neighborhood school.
SCHOOL WEBSITE: From summer 2013-November 2015, Fernbank Elementary was temporarily housed at 3131 Old Rockbridge Road, Avondale Estates. During this time, our old building on Heaton Park Drive was torn down and SPLOST funds paid for new construction.
November 30, 2015, students began school in our beautiful new building!
Fernbank Elementary is a fully authorized International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme school. While the focus is on providing a quality basic education for the children, our program enhances the total education of each child and includes spanish, art, music, science, physical education, and computer/technology literacy.
Click here for more information about the IB Primary Years Programme.
All students are encouraged to assume personal responsibility for their academic performance. The faculty continuously assesses educational programs (based on current trends and technological advancements) as they prepare students to assume the responsibilities of citizenship in a global society.
Let’s Move Active Schools
National Recognition Award, 2014
National Award, 2014-2015; 2015-16
An Active School incorporates physical activity before, during, and after school for at least 60 minutes a day. Let’s Move! Active Schools is part of the First Lady’s Let’s Move! initiative.
Healthy Schools Program
The National Healthy Schools Award is a prestigious achievement. Schools that receive this award meet best practice criteria established by the Alliance’s Healthy Schools Program Expert Panel. Awards are granted at the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels. All awarded schools are nationally and publicly celebrated.
Governor’s SHAPE Honor Roll
The Governor’s SHAPE Honor award recognizes schools for their dedication to creating a healthy school environment and a culture of wellness for staff, students and community.
Jump Rope for Heart
Jump Rope for Heart is a special event program that raises funds for the American Heart Association’s fight against heart disease and stroke. Students learn jump rope skills while learning about heart health and how nutrition and physical activity can help them live longer, healthier lives. Jump Rope for Heart also promotes community service by teaching kids how they can help others.
State of Georgia’s Governor’s Office of Student Achievement
Gold Award, 2005, 2006, 2009
Silver Award, 2007, 2008
DRUID HILLS HIGH SCHOOL (Excerpt from Great Schools Website)
Student-Overall experience- I wouldn’t change many aspects of the school. It’s diversity, the teachers’ passion, the ability to take IB and AP courses, all of these I didn’t trade for any other experience.
COMMUTE 2481 McCurdy Way Decatur, GA 30033
The home is within an easy walk or bike ride commute to Emory University, Centers for Disease Control, VA hospital, Emory DeKalb Hospital without using any Interstate Highways.
FEATURES of 2481 McCurdy Way Decatur, GA 30033
- 3 Bedrooms, 2 full baths.
- Thoughtful and professional renovation by Sally English Owner/Agent. All work permitted and inspected by DeKalb County. My husband and I have owned this home for over 17 years.
- Our RENOVATION began on the main level where we removed walls in the kitchen/family room/living room / dining room area to open up views and create flexibility in the floor plan. Structural beams were installed to support this open configuration. We gutted the kitchen. We also created better access to the patio. And added hardwood flooring to the kitchen-related rooms.
- We added a luxury master bath with the walk-in shower of your dreams.
- We added a third bedroom to the house
- The hall bath was gutted and we came back with new ceramic tile, plumbing, vanities and fixtures.
- EXTERIOR IMPROVEMENTS: on the outside we added new gutters, new roof, new exterior doors, new thermal pane and energy-efficient windows and painted the old brick to create a clean look. Later we added new landscaping. The driveway and sidewalk to the front door were replaced.
- MECHANICALS: The existing 4 year old HVAC system was updated with new ductwork and vents throughout the home. A new water heater was also added. The plumbing system was updated. The electrical system was also updated with a new electrical panel, new electrical service from street, and new wiring in much of the house.
- THE FUN STUFF: Most of the interior finish was replaced. New light fixtures were added throughout the house. We added new interior doors. The existing hardwood floors and the new floors installed were sanded down and refinished with a modern stain finish. Interior walls and ceilings were painted. New plumbing fixtures, vanities and ceramic tile were installed in bathrooms. New door hardware was installed and
- KITCHEN: The kitchen was totally rebuilt with new custom cabinets, breakfast bar, great storage and a new granite countertop. An under-counter sink with premium kitchen faucet and Pendent lighting added over the breakfast bar added. Recessed lighting in the kitchen and living areas give a clean look and floorplan flexibility.
- We already had an awesome patio overlooking the expansive and private back yard.
- Insulation blown into attic space.
- Professional landscaping completed the construction process.
- New gutters
- Added all new ductwork to 4 year-old high-efficiency HVAC systems
- New water heater
- New electrical panel
- Interior walls removed to open up floor plan. Kitchen, dining and living areas open as a continuous space.
- New kitchen configuration, new kitchen cabinets, new granite countertops, new kitchen stainless steel under-counter sink, new kitchen faucet.
- New breakfast bar with pendant lighting.
- Hardwood floors throughout main level: kitchen, family room, dining room, bedrooms.
- New landscaping: Bermuda grass sod revived, landscape planting.
- New sidewalk to front door.
- All work permitted, inspected and approved by DeKalb County in 2019.
Just a short walk – a center of neighborhood activity
Medlock Pool is located in the Medlock Park neighborhood, adjacent to baseball fields and a modest, but fun, playground. The park is also connected to a walking path that leads to Mason Mill Park and beyond. The PATH deserves its own review, but trust me–it’s great.The South Peachtree Creek Trail can be accessed from Medlock park by taking the trail on the furthest to the left trail. This sends you to a green wonderland filled with trees as far as the eye can see, which weaves its way through residential space. South Peachtree creek trail is 1.12 miles in length with mile markers evenly spaced, and the trail itself runs alongside South Peachtree Creek, although it’s hard to see or appreciate until you find yourself moving past mile marker 0.29.
Now, the pool. This is a Dekalb County-owned facility. It is older and I would describe it as a little run down. As of this review, there is one pool, which is fairly large in size and ranges from 3 feet deep to 11 feet deep. There are two low-dives and several areas to enter the pool via steps or ladders. We have been a few times this year and it has been clean and uncrowded. There is usually room to stretch out while swimming without bumping into anybody. We are often, but not always able to find an empty picnic table. There is an area of the facility that used to be a 1-foot deep baby pool and will one (unknown) day be a splash pad for young children.
— Very affordable at $3/adults and $2/children.
— Life jackets available for children if needed.
— Chill atmosphere with families and patrons of all ages.
— Shaded area* of the deck with picnic tables
While the main trail is boardwalk and paved, pay attention to the natural dirt trails that you can make out from the upper boardwalks. These little feeder trails can lead you right down to the creek at times for a better look
Towards the end of the trail you lose a lot of trees, gain a lot of graffiti and also get to a bit of construction where it seems like they may be making additions to the trails. Guess i’ll have to come back to find out!
Parking is nicely sized, although if the softball fields are all full and going, chances are you’ll have to park on the side of the road, but on a Saturday afternoon with two games going, there was more than enough parking to be found.
Medlock Park itself, if you’re after a nice walking experience, really isn’t a great choice, but walk a little bit to the connecting South Peachtree Creek Trail, and you have yourself a close to 2.5 mi round trip trail to get your steps in however you like them.
More HOMES FOR SALE in the neighborhood:
Call or text Sally English 404-229-2995 for easy showings. Sally English and the English Team specialize in homes and neighborhoods convenient to Emory University and The Centers for Disease Control CDC. See our website at englishteam.com for great home buying advice